Section Meeting Tuesday 25 September 2012
The hidden treasure – your CSIRO at work!
There’s something for everybody at the next SMPTE Section Meeting on 25 September, hosted by Geof Heydon at CSIRO’s historic Radiophysics facility in Marsfield. Whether you are the 20-something uber-geek wanting to look under the hood of Wi-Fi – invented in Australia by CSIRO – or a rusted on RF guy nostalgic for the days of Smith Charts, it’s all here. And that’s just for starters.
The meat of this session is a look at how rich media and particularly video is underpinning the explosive growth of IP network traffic, and how that it driving the roll-out of the National Broadband Network. What is the NBN architecture and what does it mean for service delivery to all Australians?
Geof will look at the Digital Economy with a focus on three key areas:
- How we are moving from a device centric world to a user- and application-centric one
- The gathering momentum around social media and cloud computing
- How fixed and mobile communications will play together in the future
Our world is changing at a dramatic pace. Come and join your SMPTE colleagues to see the innovations happening right here in our own back yard.
And if we have time, Geof may even lay on a few licks from his guitar!
The meeting is open to members of SMPTE and your guests.
Arrive for drinks, nibbles and light food at 1800 for an 1830 start. The meeting will wrap around 2030, and socialising will conclude around after 2100.
Tell us that you’re coming
RSVP right now to: John Walsh email@example.com (0448-209-476 for those last minute moments)
Where to find the meeting
CSIRO ICT Centre
Cnr Vimiera and Pembroke Roads
Marsfield (North Ryde) NSW 2122
+61 2 9372 4410 (business hours)
Getting there: driving
- Proceed westerly on Epping Road from the Lane Cove Rd overbridge
- Turn left onto Vimiera Rd
- Take the first roundabout west onto Pembroke Rd
- Turn left into the first gate to CSIRO
- Turn left into visitors car park. There are many spaces available.
Getting there: public transport
Rail: nearest station is Epping
Bus: Epping Road from Chatswood or Epping Stations.